Thursday, November 11, 2010

House Hunting and Dating

I'm learning that house-hunting and dating have similar dynamics: hopeful prospects, investment of time, money and emotion, checking for cobwebs in the attic and skeletons in the closets! :)

Well, the houses in Kalkaska and South Boardman were really in bad shape! I was rather disenchanted and almost gave up the hunt for the day. Was it worth my time to drive cross-county to Buckley only to find yet another bad house? Me being me, I'm one to enjoy the journey as much as the destination...so I headed to see the last house for the day.

I know it may seem dramatic, but as soon as I drove on the 3.33 acre property, I knew I was home. It was similar the feeling you get when you see your beloved across the crowded room and just KNOW you are going to marry. Love at first sight? Or a more substantial knowing? I'll find out.

This small cottage is completely off the grid! Rustic facilities include a hand pump water well and outhouse. It's quite lovely and so appealing. On the property there is also a whimsical Totem pole with fun camping and outdoorsy icons. The Totem pole speaks to me in various ways including my Native American Spirituality leanings as well as Native American roots in my family.

I spent about an hour on the property, walking around, looking at the cottage as best as I could from the outside, sitting at the campfire to get a feel for the land. As I overlooked the small lake, I had a sensation of being home. It really is inexplicable, but that's the feeling nonetheless.

In the past 3 years, I've looked at a lot of houses, but there is something about this one that is causing me to look more closely. With that, I called the Realtor to find out more information and to set up and appointment for a walk-thru.

Right after I got off the phone with the Realtor (appointment set for Saturday, November 13), I saw a Bald Eagle flying over the field. Hmmm. Whenever Bald Eagle appears in my life, he speaks freedom, liberty and independence to me. Interesting...

I'm willing to see where this path takes me...

No comments:

Post a Comment