Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hand Water Pump Meditation

My only source of water is a 55' foot well which was drilled in June of 2000. The well head is connected to a Baker Hand Pump, model 11HD. If "Baker" isn't working properly, I don't receive water. So it goes without saying, that I pay very keen attention to Baker and don't take my water needs for granted!

For example, I've counted how many strokes it takes for water to rise and pour. It takes between 15-18 strokes depending upon how cold it is. On the first day I used the pump to draw water for my water test sample, I counted the strokes because:
#1 - I was curious
#2 - There really isn't anything else to do while your arms are pumping away!
#3 - I figured knowing such information would be useful in the future.

Ever since then, I've religiously counted EVERY time I use the pump. The stroke count gives me much needed information about the status and health of my water supply and reminds me daily not to take it for granted. My water pump stroke count meditation gets me into the "zone" while awaiting water's arrival...and then when I hear water percolating through the pipe, I feel like a giddy kid on Christmas morning!! It's here!!!

**
AN ASIDE: Okay, it may seem over the top, but I have this experience every time I receive water. Conversely, when I use "modern water", I feel disconnected with such impersonal and strange water coming out of the faucet...I don't know where it came from, I don't know who helped bring it to me. By the way, what is YOUR experience and relationship with water? Do you think about where your water comes from?
**

I use 2 different sized buckets for hauling water. One bucket is 1.5 gallons and takes 18 strokes to fill. The larger bucket is 2.5 gallons and takes 28 strokes to fill. Some family members and friends have laughed that I count and know the stroke numbers. But knowing my stroke counts has helped me TWICE so far! (In this current blog entry I'm only addressing pump strokes; next time, I will blog about water usage)

On January 29, I pumped water on a relatively mild 30° day. We had received about 6" of snow overnight, but otherwise mild day. As I started pumping and counting, I fell into my meditation. When I arrived at stroke 12, I realized something was definitely amiss. Instead of getting easier to pump (as the leather washer which provides the suction, swelled with water), it was getting harder!!! I mean REALLY hard, like I was trying to draw concrete!! Immediately, I stopped pumping and heard water escaping back down the pipe. This was a good sign and told me the pump itself was working. But for some reason water was not coming out of the spout.

My instinct told me that something was plugged. I grabbed a 9/16" wrench from my toolbox and removed the 2 bolts holding the spout to the base assembly. I figured I'd start at the most easy to remove piece of the puzzle. I held the heavy spout in my hands and created a tight seal with my face and blew into it like a small-mouthed trumpet player! I couldn't blow at all because quite obviously the spout was plugged shut! Since the most likely culprit was ice, I took the spout into the house and put a pan of water on the wood-stove to heat. About 10 minutes later, I had hot water and a cleared water spout!! I was thrilled to discover it was such a simple thing and made a mental note to myself. I was quite shocked that it had frozen on a such a mild day because temperatures reached -25° just a week prior and I happily pumped water without a problem. I shrugged it off to being a mysterious combination of moisture, humidity, temperature and moon phase! :)

This past Thursday, as I pumped water and counted bucket strokes, my large bucket stroke count reached 32 but the bucket was only 3/4 full! This reality snapped out of my meditation and I assessed the situation. Looking at the bigger picture, I discovered a small stream of water flowing past the top packing nut. It shouldn't be doing that, so I stopped pumping immediately! I didn't know why or how it was happening, but I knew it wasn't good!!

Again, I started with the easiest piece of the puzzle and using my trusty 9/16" wrench, removed the water spout. I then pumped up water and was relieved to see water pouring out of the base assembly but not leaking past the packing nut. This meant that something was amiss in the spout. This time, I took a much better look at the spout and discovered it was actually comprised of 2 pieces: The spout itself and a collar. I was able to screw off the collar by tapping it with a hammer. Just inside the collar, I discovered a large strainer, a fine screen and gasket. The screen was completely plugged with sand and mineral debris. THIS had to be the reason! I dissembled the entire spout and used an old toothbrush and CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover to break up rust and mineral deposits in the screen until it was shiny new! I reassembled the spout and took the old gasket to the hardware store. The gasket was shot, so I knew this was a good time to replace it.


This morning, on a frigid 15° day, I reattached the water spout to Baker, along with the new gasket. I grabbed hold of the handle and breathed a sigh of thanksgiving for the Gift of Water. As my stroke count reached 15, water came rushing out of the spout with MUCH greater water pressure than I had ever seen in my three months using it!! I was ecstatic :)

As I reflect today:
(1)  When things go "wrong", there is always a reason.
(2)  When things do go "wrong", be sure to investigate fully in order to see the full picture. Had I spent a bit more time on the water spout on January 29, I probably wouldn't have had a problem on Thursday.
(3)  Usually the simplest solution is the best.
(3)  Even the smallest things add up to big things!
(4)  Knowing such "trivial" information is helpful.
(5)  Don't take anything for granted.

1 comment:

  1. Have you considered the WaterBuck Pump?

    http://waterbuckpump.com/

    You can easily get 7 gallons in thirty seconds with just 9 strokes at your current depth.

    ReplyDelete