Sunday, December 5, 2010

Building Chimneys & Friendships

Well my carpenter-neighbor Sean and I installed the stove and chimney! It was a great project that took 2 partial days only because we spent as much time talking and getting to know one another as we did actually working. I learned that he's been living back here for about 10 years. About 14 years ago, he was a Venture Capitalist Businessman. One day, while in Chicago with clients, he "awoke" to the futility of corporate-America rat race. He took 2 years or so to transition from that life to this one and hasn't looked back since. He said every now and again he'll be in a store or driving down the road and look around at "the world" and just laugh...like knowing the punchline to a private joke. I know the feeling...

Today it was very cold (about 20°), so I stoked up the sauna stove and propped open the door between the cottage and sauna. The sauna stove kept the cottage at a comfortable level today for working (around 52° with the door open between the cottage and sauna). Otherwise, with the door closed, the sauna would've been about 110°. We actually sweated while we worked in the loft...of course we had our Carhartt's on, but heat also rises! I estimate it was about 70° in the loft. Very comfy!

The generator fired up like a trooper the first day, but then today it fired and then sputtered back into silence. I smelled gas, so assumed I simply flooded/stalled it when trying to trim the throttle after starting. I let it sit for a while to dry out and tried to start it again, but smelled gas again. It was evident to me there was more of an issue. So I put on my thinking cap and recalled what my Dad taught me many years ago, that an engine needs three things to start: (1) air (2) gas and (3) fire. Since air is always available and rarely is an issue, Dad immediately rules it out. This leaves fire and gas. With the gas smell, this told me that the gas pump was working and bringing gas to the carburetor. So I ruled out gas as an issue.

It had to be fire. I removed the spark plug and discovered thick carbon soot build-up. I also recalled Dad telling last week to buy a new spark plug. Doh! In a pinch, I could clean it up with emery paper, but I didn't have any. Instead, I used a piece of stiff cardboard to clean it. It worked! I could see bare metal after a minute's worth of effort. I replaced the spark plug, choked the carb and gave the cord a pull. When the generator fired to life, I quickly trimmed the choke and she ran like a charm for the rest of our day. I made a mental note of two things:
(1) Listen to Dad: Buy and install a new carburetor.
(2) Be willing to try using something in place of something else. It just may work!

The rest of the day went without a hitch. While Sean was busy framing the chimney box into place, I spent an hour shoveling my driveway of 10" of snow. Since it was so cold, the snow was very light and fluffy...making it very easy shoveling. I love snow. I love shoveling snow. There is something purely Zen-like for me when I shovel snow. Clearing paths, cutting swaths, making paths...like taking apart a puzzle and leaving a smooth
surface.

When I first moved to Traverse City, I bought a snowblower because I was told that snow is SO deep and heavy...my first winter we received about 140".  It is true that snowblowers are good at moving
snow. But they are also loud, stinky and can be finicky to start in the cold. Mid-winter I bought a Garant® 24" Sleigh Snow Shovel and discovered that I could move as much snow with this snow-sleigh as quickly as I could with the snowblower. Plus the added bonus of no noise, no stink, no issues starting it and built-in gym membership! Just grab it and go!!

View from my front porch this morning.
Today was such a gorgeous day. There was no wind to speak of so when the snow fell, it fell straight down and swirled a little before landing on the ground, like white butterflies playfully dancing on a summer breeze. It was a magical feeling, like being in a giant snow globe! I looked out over the lake checking for wildlife, but saw nothing. Nearby sounds included trees creaking in the breeze and several woodpeckers gleaning bugs from trees. And in the far distance, I heard a snow blower. In the air, the sweet aroma of wood smoke from my fire and my neighbors...mingled in the air, like silent conversation. As the sun glistened through the crystalline powder, I was very grateful for many magical things that make the difference in life: Snow. Heat. Friendships. Life is good!

P.S. The wood stove chimney sealant has to cure for 24 hours and then I can fire it up. Stay tuned for my next post :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm having a good time!

    ReplyDelete