Saturday, November 12, 2011

Statistics for Year 1

I enjoy observing nature in all her glory and recording moments in time. Here's my observations for year 1 at my homestead. These statistics aren't meant to be an exhaustive because I'm sure I didn't see/hear all that there is to see/hear! My intention was to become familiar with my property, getting to know as a friend, so as the years go by, my relationship deepens with understanding, knowledge and respect.


WEATHER OBSERVATIONS (1/7/2011 - 10/31/2011)

Weather Stats
At the beginning of the New Year, I installed an Ambient WS-1080 wireless weather station. This weather station rocks! Initially I wanted just a anemometer to study wind speed for future wind-generator, but I anted up a few more dollars for the whole weather enchilada! It accurately and faithfully measures windspeed, wind direction, rainfall, temperature and humidity (inside and outside), barometric pressure, dewpoint and windchill. It records/logs over 4,000 data points and interfaces via USB to my computer for downloading capability. A data geeks best friend :) 

Here's observations of the weather. It will be interesting to do a comparison over the years to see how it changes:

Highest outdoor temperature: 92.3°F on 6/7/2011
Lowest outdoor temperature: -4.4° on 2/10/2011
Lowest wind-chill factor: -9.8° on 2/8/2011
Average outdoor temperature: 49.8°

Highest indoor temperature: 105.1° 2/5/2011 (sauna was fired up)
Lowest indoor temperature: 31.8° on 10/30/2011
Average indoor temperature: 70.7°

Highest indoor humidity: 89% on 8/24/2011
Highest outdoor humidity: 99% on multiple days (raining)

Cumulative rainfall: 19.7" as of 10/31/2011
Highest rainfall in 1-hour period: 1.89" on 4/25/2011
Highest rainfall in 24-hour period: 1.89" on 4/25/2011
Highest rainfall in week: 3.54" week of April 25-May1, 2011
Highest rainfall in month period: 5.57" May 2011

Cumulative snowfall: 130"
Snowfall in 24-hour period: 21"

Highest wind gust: 32.7 MPH on 2/3/2011
Average wind speed: 1.42 MPH 


FLORA & FAUNA OBSERVATIONS

Interestingly enough, despite living on the banks of a woodland lake, I saw only a few mosquitoes, no ticks and only a few house flies. I attribute the lack of mosquitoes to the huge population of beautiful Damselflies and Dragonflies who grace this property. As for no ticks, I'm thankful for that!! I attribute no flies to the nearly constant breeze that blew through my cottage and property.

When I started moving in on November 29, 2010, the cottage had been vacant for over a year. Since I figured it'd be filled with mice, I set many traps throughout the cottage, but caught only 3! :)

Additional to these amazing things is the fact that there is NO Poison Ivy on my property!! This is another welcomed phenomena! I've heard that Poison Ivy seems to be prolific in areas where the soil has been disturbed/stripped. Since there are several wildflowers on my property which only grow in undisturbed soils, this makes sense as to why no Poison Ivy is here. May the soil continue to be undisturbed!

Here's observations of my "woodland neighbors":

Animals
Pretty Doe - June 19, 2011
Bats
Chipmunk
Coyote (sound)
Deer (sound, sight & tracks)
Flying Squirrel (sight & sound)
Fox (sight & tracks)
Porcupine (sight & tracks)
Rabbit (sight & tracks)
Raccoon (sight & tracks)
Turtles (sight & tracks)
Skunk (sight & tracks)

Birds
Cooper's Hawk - April 2, 2011
Bald Eagle
Barred Owl (sight & sound)
Canada Geese (sight & sound)
Cedar-Waxwing
Chickadee (sight & sound)
Cooper's Hawk (sight & sound)
Crow (sight & sound)
Downy Woodpecker (sight & sound)
Hermit Thrush (sight & sound)
Hummingbird (sight & sound)
Great Blue Heron
Mallard Ducks
Meadowlark (sight & sound)
Pileated Woodpecker (sight & sound)
Quail
Raven (sight & sound)
Red-tailed Hawk (sight & sound)
Red-winged Blackbird (sight & sound)
Robin
Sand-hill Crane (sight & sound)
Spruce Grouse (sight & sound)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Insects & Other Creepy Crawlies
Eastern Newt - July 22, 2011
Dragonflies
Damselflies
Chorus Frogs (sounds)
Crickets
Eastern Newt
Fireflies
Gardner Snake
Grasshoppers
Honey Bees
Ichneumon Wasp
Spring Peepers (sounds)
Toads
Tree Frogs (sounds)
Wasps
Wolf Spider
Worms

Cheery Trilliums - May 18, 2011
Wildflowers
Columbine
Dutchman Breeches
Foam Flower
Hepatica
Miterwort
Mullein
Squirrel Corn
Spring Beauty
Trillium
Violets
Yellow Trout Lily

Sweet Blackberries - August 18, 2011
Plants
Blackberries
Chicory
Fern
Half-Morel Mushrooms
Leeks
Moss
Shelf Fungus
Wild Strawberries

Trees
Ash
Blue Spruce
Choke Cherry
Maple
Oak
Poplar
Wild Strawberry
White Birch
White Pine

No comments:

Post a Comment