Friday, November 11, 2011

A Year Later!

Hard to believe it was year ago today, that I was house hunting and found my homestead. In some ways, it seems like only yesterday. In other ways, it seems I've lived here for a decade...in a good way! It's been a grand adventure, each day a learning experience. After a year, I can honestly say I don't miss any modern convenience. Living off the grid is "harder", only insofar as the rhythm is different without "modern conveniences". Nothing is instantaneous (water, heat, cooling, power)...I get out of my system what I put into it. I appreciate the awareness to every function of my life that living off the grid brings. I don't take anything for granted! Living off the grid still feels like being at camp or having a tree fort 24/7 :) Here's to many more days and to adventures wherever they may lead!

I've made many improvements in the past year including:

  • Installed oil lamps
  • Installed a woodstove & chimney
  • Tuned the water pump
  • Built shelves in bedroom
  • Built shelves in porch
  • Built shelves in back wash room
  • Installed battery motion detector porch lights
  • Cleared old wood and junk
  • Created a yard
  • Installed solar lights around the perimeter
  • Installed a window in the back wash room
  • Created and manicured 3 moss gardens
  • Repaired 3 windows
  • Repaired screen door
  • Installed rain barrels
  • Converted outhouse to composting toilet (almost done!)
  • Cut and cleared trails
  • Reconfigured loft staircase for ease of use
  • Installed clothes line
  • Created "suicide cord" for using Jeep as power-generator
  • Installed storm windows on the porch
  • Installed cell phone repeater
  • Installed a cat door
  • Installed a dog door
  • Set up a propane stove
  • Repaired and set up a propane refrigerator
  • Installed storm window in outhouse

Next year's project list:
  • Re-shingle roof
  • Insulate
  • Establish solar/wind/steam power
  • Tile porch/kitchen
  • Install gray water drains
  • Stone work on hearth
What a difference a year makes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment